Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Forever Alone - in the Duluth Mall


There I was. Casually eating my friend rice with mad chopstick skills and sitting across from my little sister in a mall food court. For some reason, most schools in my area weren’t off for Martin Luther King Day, but by college had the day off and that warranted a Duluth trip. The food court was about half full and there was a mix of people milling about. A few moms with their kids, some older people, two or three guys about my age at the far end, and some other people that I really don’t remember at all – were enjoying their fast food fare.

 Then, the sound hit me. “Baby we could be so amazing and being in your life is gonna’ change me.” Oh that beautiful sound. That sound that I had been waiting my whole life (or year) to hear in a public place where I could meet the intense burning gaze of a dashing young man and have a love-at-first-sight-Romeo-and-Juliet-across-the-room moment. I searched the room – looking for a candidate – looking for someone who rivaled the beauty of Michael Buble himself.

 There was no one. I couldn’t even catch the eye of the toddler two tables down. So I just sang the rest of the song to my sister, crushed to have, yet again, gone another day without finding romance in a mall food court. Hopefully I’ll have better luck next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment